Sunday, August 17, 2014

Elementary, my dear Watson.


So this past week we had to write a short drama scene for class. I was terrified. I had no idea how to write a screenplay, much less what I would even write about. Thankfully, The Stud's brother is pretty freakin smart, and helped me brainstorm writing topics. Once we settled on one, I started writing. In the middle of it, I scrapped everything I had, and started over with something based off of what we thought of. Guess what? It's pretty great. I'm pretty proud. And I got a pretty "A" on the assignment. Boom.

Here's the finished product for y'all. Enjoy!


FADE IN:

EXT. CITY PARK - DAY

A couple sits together on a park bench surrounded by trees, frolicking children, and joggers passing on their afternoon runs.

The WOMAN stares sadly at BEN, holds his hands tightly in hers.

WOMAN
Don't you understand? It's not something I can control! I can't just change my mind.


Ben pulls his hands away.

BEN
I think you could, dear. You could if you tried. Don't you love me at all?


A tear rolls down Ben's cheek. The woman wipes it away, and lifts his chin so their eyes meet.

WOMAN
Honey, you know that I do. You also know that has nothing to do with how I feel about him. This is ridiculous. Why are we even having this discussion?

Ben stares at her, bewildered by her question.

WOMAN
Jesus, Ben, you act like this is a deal breaker! Out of everything we have been through, this is what makes you want to throw in the towel?

Ben turns away, crosses his arms over his chest.

The woman lets out an over exaggerated SIGH.

Ben spins around to face the woman.

BEN
Are you kidding me right now? What, am I just supposed to pretend you don't feel the way I do? What about him is so appealing to you?

WOMAN
(Blushing)
Well... I mean, you know I am so attracted to you...

Ben leaps up off of the bench, fists balled by his sides.

BEN
I knew it! It's the muscles, and the hair. I'll bet it's the name, too! Everyone knows him. Everyone!

The woman rises to her feet as well, places her hands on his chest trying to placate him.

WOMAN
Darling, you know that's not it. It's a simple matter of taste, and what I expect to get out of your role. What did you expect? Honestly?

BEN
I expected a little class, for one! I expected you to value intellect over brawn. Results over action!

The woman glances away sheepishly.

WOMAN
(Mumbles)
Oh he gets results, don't worry.

Ben is stopped short. His shoulders hunch, defeated.

BEN
Is that it then? That's how you feel?

The woman takes Ben's hand and pulls him back, seated on the bench.

WOMAN
Yes, darling. I told you. I can't help how I feel. He moves me in a way you don't. That doesn't mean this has to end.

BEN
I'm afraid it does.

Ben stands, starts to walk away, stops to speak over his shoulder.

BEN
I can't be with a woman who thinks DOWNEY plays a better SHERLOCK HOLMES than me.

FADE OUT.

6 comments:

  1. That is great, the best you have written. So proud of you, keep up the good work. I think you have found what you are suppose to do with your life. THAT IS MY GRANDDAUGHTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mema! I'm pretty proud of it myself! I love you and your support!

      Delete
  2. Very good! :) I think you've found your calling. Thank GOD you grew outta wanting to be an armpit sniffer.. LOL love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO Thanks, mom! I'm glad that I did too. That would have been an awfully terrible career. "Pit one, please. Eugh. Okay. Pit two. Alright, we've concluded that Dove just isn't doing the trick here." Just awful.
      ;) LOVE YOU!

      Delete
  3. Great job! Aunt Janis

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Say it to my face.. er.. or.. something. Yea.
**Don't have any of the accounts listed? Choose the "Name/URL" option. Just put your name. Easy-peasy. Or choose Anonymous... if you're a scaredy-puss.