Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dear Sam, Are you there? It's me... Sam

Ah, yes. 16 did great things for my hair
So, I was reading a few different blogs again today and came across Where We Can Live Like Jack and Sally. Super cute name, btw. On this woman's blog is a page labeled "Letter to Myself" where she writes a letter to her 16 year old self. I loved it. So cute and heartfelt. Then I got to thinking... What would I say to me? Hmmm...

Dear (16 year old) Samantha,

     Ah, high school. I know what most people would think when they look back on being 16 in high school. Lemme tell you, Sam, your view of high school does not become any better with age. I know you hate it. I know you're struggling. I know you have about 3 people you can really call your friends. Don't worry, it gets better. I know high school has sucked so far. I know you have like 2 pairs of jeans and a handful of t-shirts. I know times are pretty tough. I know a lot of the people you go to school with have ridiculed you and embarrassed you and made you feel awful about yourself just because you don't have the money and possessions they have. It's okay. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it is. The friends you have are fantastic. You know that.

     You have a fantastic relationship with your family. I know you're still reeling from losing Papa. You never stop missing him. Not even for a day. You still won't be able to watch father/daughter dances, or movies that focus on the father/daughter relationship. You'll sometimes secretly resent your friends for having great relationships with their dads...  But it gets a little easier to breathe. STOP blaming yourself for not being there when he passed. I know now that it would've scarred us. We would never be able to remember him the way we do now. So smile knowing he's always watching...always looking out for you.... and he's there every time you call. You're not imagining that feeling. He's there, he'll always be there.

Some of your favorite memories from high school will most
definitely involve The Group. 
     This year you're dating David, and you think you're in love. David will end up being one of your best and oldest friends. You don't spend the rest of your life with him. And it won't be Sean or Rickey, either, although you'll believe the contrary no matter what anyone says. You and Sean will end up hurting each other. A lot. The same happens with Rickey. You're a forgiving person, but you don't forget. And sometimes that helps you, but lots of times it hurts you. Ultimately, it's best that those relationships ended, no matter how it feels initially. I know it'll be hard, but stick through it. You'll have an incredible group of people around you that want to help you see your decision through. You'll make 2 absolutely incredible best friends in high school. You'll drift apart. You'll make mistakes. Don't worry though, you atone for your mistake. You and that person are pretty good now, and you're really happy about it. You also make 2 incredible friends in college. (Ps - you drop out... don't stress yourself out, [for right now] it's for the best), and they see you through your trials and hard times. Sam and Emilea will be your friends for the rest of your life. Speaking of Emilea...

Aren't we the cutest? I told you you have a lot to look forward to
Photo Credit: Tabifeener :) 
     Whatever you do, I know you're strong minded and you'll do what you want, but when you meet Emilea's brother...he's pretty cute right? You think you feel something, but you're not sure. Trust me. You do. And..  Well.. I won't spoil it for you. But the road ahead from there is absolutely magical. There are some ups and downs, but the two of you fight through them and come out so strong. You've never felt the way you'll feel with him. He'll make you laugh every day. He'll make you smile just by thinking of him. You'll have so much in common, and he'll introduce you to so many things  - ahem, Greek food? OMG. Best of all, he'll be loved by everyone that you love. Your sisters? Totally sold. His relationship with Marissa is fantastic. Oh, and his family? You'll love them. And they'll love you (naturally ;) )

     So, right now, while you're insecure and doubting your future, know this: You will find happiness. You will find your niche. And you'll love your life. Now, go do your homework, try a little harder in school, and relish in what you DO have, rather than what you don't. Because, later, none of this stuff matters. All that matters is how far you've come, and who you're here to enjoy it with.

Sincerely,
(25 year old) Sam.

8 comments:

  1. this my dear is amazing.. if only we knew back then what we know now.. either way.. amazing awesome lessons you have learned. i am proud to say i have watched you go thru some of this and rise to such a beautiful women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wanda!
      I really do feel like I've grown. Especially in the last few years. You definitely saw me (and helped me!) through a lot of it :)
      Thanks again <3

      Delete
  2. Adorbs:) And I hate that word, but it fit here, oddly...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all make mistakes,what matters is what we learn from them.I think you have found a good person to spend your life with,some one you love and respect and love's and respects you.God,love,respect,and trust are the foundation for a good relationship.When you have these thing, the rest of your life will work out.I love you with all my heart. Mema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Mema!
      And I think I've found myself a good one, as well :)
      I love you more!

      Delete
  4. This made me tear up jarv, touching post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Char!!
      Ps - You were one of those few people that year I felt I could be myself with.
      I didn't trust anyone. So thank you <3

      Delete

Have something to say? Say it to my face.. er.. or.. something. Yea.
**Don't have any of the accounts listed? Choose the "Name/URL" option. Just put your name. Easy-peasy. Or choose Anonymous... if you're a scaredy-puss.